Sunday, June 30, 2013

Nursery progression: Recovering a glider chair..

I recently obtained a free Dutailier glider chair for the great price of $0.  The downside it had some faded denim fabric that wasn't cute for a hip baby or mama. :) So, I thought about recovering it, but was a little  scared. I didn't want to rip up all the fabric and rework it all. I was really happy when I saw this tutorial to recover it: http://www.kenjiandjen.com/p/tutorial-recovering-glider-chair.html

Which essentially allowed me to make slip cushions, which is great because they can be taken off and popped in the wash.  My brother has three children and I watched all three when they were babies, I know there's a lot of washing going on with a little one.  It worked great as directed except for the ottoman.  I tried to follow instructions, but I think that I will just rip up the ottoman and make it fit really nicely with a zipper. It looks ok now, but you're not seeing it in person!

I had a great time with this, Brady my dog was hanging with me. There were a few times he knocked down the fan and piles of fabric, but he's generally a great helper! I felt like I was in the zone in the sewing room today or experiencing flow as a psychologist would say.  Here's the before picture:

 
The bones were great, but definitely needed some love! Here's the almost finished product, but you get the idea.  I'm still debating if I should make the ottoman yellow, thoughts?
 

The finished product cost me about $20 much cheaper than a new $500 glider! I still need to work on the ottoman, but I'm happy with the result so far!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment